Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Students with Diabetes National Conference

So, this is my first time doing something like this, but after the incredible weekend I just had I decided it was time to share my experiences with the world.

First I'll start with a little introduction. My name is Jeremy Sparks, I'm 20 years-old and I'm a Junior at the University of Florida. I'm majoring in Chemistry with a minor in Mathematics. I also am following the pre-pharmacy track. I just found out that Insulet won my appeal against my insurance company so I will soon be the proud wearer of the Omnipod. However, since I was diagnosed at the age of 8 I have been on shots the entire time. The other side to me is that enjoy playing the sport of Muggle Quidditch, adapted from the sport imagined by J.K. Rowling. This is my way of staying active and keeping in shape.

Me playing Quidditch as a keeper at LeakyCon 2011.

This past weekend I attended a Students with Diabetes National Conference. This was one of the best experiences of my life. I learned so many things about Diabetes and how to better control it and I feel rejuvenated and ready to take it on with a new energy. I also met some pretty incredible people. I got to listen to Phil Southerland speak about growing up with Diabetes and how he used it to create Team Type 1 despite being told by a doctor that he probably would not live past age 25 and if he did he would most likely be blind and/or missing limbs. I also got to hear Bill King speak about how being diagnosed around 20 and then turning around and still running in marathons. Hearing these stories of triumph over great adversity made me want to go out in the world and not only help myself to live better, but to help others as well.
Bill King presenting.

There was one person that I met this weekend that had the biggest impact on me out of everyone else there and she wasn't even one of the speakers. This would be Catherine, another one of the attendees of the conference. She has her own blog that you can check out here. When she told me her story of being diagnosed and of the events that followed involving her dance career I was amazed at how much she has accomplished. She has a medic alert tattoo on her arm that, besides saying Type 1 Diabetic, says something that, to me, is more important: I kept going. To me those three words serve as a big inspiration. No matter what life throws at you, just keep going. Push through it and come out alive, on top, and a better person. I don't think any of the people I met would be who they are today if not for diabetes. And I think that is a very good thing because they are all incredible people.
Catherine and myself on Sandstorm at Busch Gardens.

One of the biggest things that I learned from this weekend is that having diabetes can be a good thing. Let it be the fire to ignite you into action. Go out into the world and accomplish something. Don't let diabetes hold you back and never use it as an excuse for why you cannot do something. You can do anything you want. Just watch your blood sugars.

Here's some of the other cool people I met this weekend:
Justin, Martin, Sarah, Rachelle, Ralf and Karla

April (Who I already knew from my university's SWD Club)

Melissa and Nia

Tremayne

William, Mike, Spencer and Neil

There were many others whom I shall not soon forget because this was a very fun, incredible, inspiring and educational weekend.

And finally, I must give a big thank you to Nicole (Miss America 1998!) and Steph for putting this event on. This was a wonderful experience and I hope to attend many more events like this in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Moved me to tears!! Keep writing!! After reading Catherines blog, I was thinking about starting one. After reading yours, I am going to!!

    ReplyDelete